Saturday, September 3, 2011

Ellipses ...

Dinah said it best: if I were a bell I’d be ringing.

She was a complete stranger.

“Do you have a significant other?”

“I did, and now I just have his stuff.”

“Maybe he doesn’t want to leave you.”

Fuck.

He was significant. He altered me. And in thinking on it, maybe he doesn’t want to leave me. The last significant one took everything. That’s the thing about significance: it never leaves. It lingers. It stares back at you from the mirror. It punctuates every sentence.

Why has this one sentenced me to a life forever ending in ellipses?

I love the declarative. Period. Full stop. Definitive.

The subjunctive has never done much for me. It doesn’t tuck you in at night. It tells you it will be in a minute when the program is over. It asks you to dance in broad daylight in the company of strangers, takes the lead, dips you, and doesn't pull up back up.



No comments:

Post a Comment