Thursday, May 2, 2013

Tears of Joy

I wish I had a better rationale for writing something like this other than the world of rap finally recognizing our struggle, too. But I don't need one. The fact that anyone at all from the other side of the tracks heard OUR soundtrack makes me happy. Very happy. Ignore my tears, and listen to my heart.

I'm crying in a taxi right now
Alone, and heading to more alone.
But I'm listening to the man I always had a crush on since I was 7 talk about his childhood confusion about his own situation.
I cry because I thought he would hit me.
I cry because I thought he would out me.
I cry because I thought he might like it.
We're getting closer.
We're one less tear from hate.
We're one more song closer to acceptance.
Love is patient and kind.
I'm just hoping to patiently wait for my love to be kind.
I'm not going to cry anymore.
The feeling of spit slipping down my cheek will never dissipate.
The resonance of faggot in my ears will make me think of change.
I will listen to the man I thought would hurt me sing for my freedom, and I won't cry anymore.
I will smile.
I will joke.
I will rest easy.
My boyfriend will annoy me as much as yours.
Maybe more.
I'll always love him, but we'll commiserate over the compromises we make.
Together.
In union.
In unison.
In it.
Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment