Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'll Get to You When I Get to You

This came to me while riding the A train on the one of the hottest days of the summer. It's short because so was my trip. Only had to go three stops, but I've stopped a few more times to read through it. Thank you to Harlem for being a constant source of amazement.


I'll get to you when I get to you.

Right now, I'm with him, and he's a swimming pool in a gated community in New Jersey on August 13th.

He is the aluminum hotel pans my neighbors fill with macaroni and cheese, collards, and buttermilk fried chicken.

I'll get to you when I get to you, but right now, I'm with him.

He is the open fire hydrant on my street where children wade and waddle with new feet, making like Sisyphus against the pressure of his outpouring.

I, too, attempt to reach the source. I come so close, then assuage myself with having at the very least been cooled by his touch as the sun burns the asphalt around me.

I'll get to you when I get to you, but right now, I'm happy he's with me.
7-27-10

No comments:

Post a Comment